Re: Bad ticks...

  • To: <gary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Bad ticks...
  • From: "Bilo Selhi" <biloselhi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:48:47 -0800

a few minor problems along that line are:
- often bid and ask are crossed
- some legal trades do happen outside of bid and ask
in fast market trades sometimes happen way above
the ask and way below the bid...

however, there are workarounds to those problems.
i told omega long time ago and repeat again:
if they don't want to THOROUGHLY scrub data within the server
( not only giant bad ticks but also smaller outside trades )
or don't  have the technology or the capacity to accomplish that then
there is actually a much better solution to the problem...
- supply raw ( dirty ) data to the end user in real time.
- have a button on symbol format form called "enable tick filtering"
- supply bad tick tags to the end user in a separate data packet
- a typical user has what? about 10 charts running in TS, so instead
of filtering all data within the server, filter data in the user platform before
it is sent to a chart, that way you are using the user computer recourses,
not server recourses... and it's not much of user recourses either...
- the only catch is that they have to feed bad ticks with tags
and id those on  the end user machine ie in TS platform... and they have to maintain
clean historical database ( by running clean-server routine against the
bad tick repository at night ) that's all.
- it is much easer to implement compared to supplying bid and ask
data, filtering based on bid / ask or doing filtering within the server...
SO THAT IS THE CURRENT BEST ALGORITHM FOR BAD
TICK FILTERING:
- do not filter data within the server in real time
- instead supply raw data to end user as usual in real time
- all bad ticks that come from the exchanges tagged, drop em all into
  bad tick repository.
- bad ticks with tags  will be send to end user along with good data
 and filtered based on those tags using user resources, before data
 is used in a chart. the fact that the user has the ultimate choice
on whether to enable filtering or not ( by checking that button )
the vendor is not responsible for missing or corrupt data if that
button is check ( should not be a problem anyway )
- at night run the server maintenance and either delete all tagged ticks
that are in bad tick repository or back insert them into the data at
correct times.

as far as bid ask data, they already pass bid and ask data for L2 boxes...
but i think the reason they don't give you bid ask bar data is
because they are not willing to store and maintain it as bar data
on their M3 server...
even if they did than coding a bid ask filter is a real clusterf...ck
i have done that, this was the hardest coding i have done in EL so far...
it will have to be coded as a DLL, AND coded real well otherwise
funny things may happen...
anyhow, they'll never pull it off and it's not needed...

TS is not there yet...
your system is as good as your data... if data is crap who cares
about how fast you can deliver it or how much of it you can store???
i'd rather wait an extra 5 seconds for clean data than
get shitty data in .1 of a second...
TS people assume that we are stupid and would not understand
the concept of an outside trade... and thus they can claim that their
data is clean... in reality it ain't that clean!!!
bad tick can easily trigger an unnecessary trade...and that's a liability
that they think we won't figure out...
M3 people understand bad data, and they do pass those bad tick
tags ( if available from the data vendor )
to the end user to handle, but they hide the issue and
their solution is not solid from what i can gather...
bilo.
ps. the new high-tech platform that's in the works supposedly takes care
of the issue... will have bad tick repository and on the fly tick filtering,
bid ask data for the available issues... and super fast access.
that is my hope. when that happens, say good by to good old Omega.
if TS keeps at this pace the autoexecution won't save their ass...
custom autoexecution has already entered main stream...