covariance vs correlation

What's the practical difference between correlation and covariance, in
terms of what they're used for?

Yes, I've got the formulas for both in the Excel Help files.  Yes, I see
that correlation is bounded by -1 and 1.

But in practical terms...if you're trying to find stocks that are move very
much like a given index, or conversely, if you're trying to create a
portfolio of stocks (or markets) that zig while the other zags...would you
use correlation or would you use covariance as a measure?