Re: Random Walk alive and well.

I just tried this out with IMM currency futures, daily data from 1987 to
2002 for AD, BP, CD, EC, SF, ME, JY.  Computed average move sizes for
1-bar, 16-bar and 64-bar intervals, then looked for factors as follows:

1-bar vs 16-bar move sizes
1-bar vs 64-bar move sizes
16-bar vs 64-bar move sizes

The expected factors for random walks would be 4, 8, and 2
respectively.  Only JY and ME came in consistently stronger, ie factors
always above these thresholds.  The other six were weaker.

What Alex mentioned below is conventional (and generally accepted) wisdom,
so I was surprised to find that at least for currency *futures* it doesn't
seem to be the case.

Any ideas what's going on ? (and yes, I did check my spreadsheet with
random data first ;-)

Regards,
Stefan Schulz
Suaviter Limited