Re: TS 4 I/O overwhelmed - need ideas

> Here is my problem. Periodically during the day, my I/O on the
> server pegs out at 99% and I start missing data.  TS gets slow and
> sluggish.
>
> I have a digi serial card and BMI cable feed. PII 350 with 384 m
> ram and 40 gig HD. Running window ME. Resource level remains at
> about 70%+.

Did it do this before you reinstalled?

My best guess is the OS.  ME is a castrated version of W98, which was
not a particularly good base to run anything serious.

I ran TS4 on a 450MHz P4 with 256MB for years with nary a problem,
much of that on BMI.  But that was on NT.  I had far more problems
when I ran on W95.  NT and W2k are MUCH MUCH MUCH better platforms to
run realtime and mission-critical software on.

I just moved to a new box and finally installed my first W2k.  It's a
great OS, very easy to use, and I guarantee you it will be a lot more
solid than ME.  Try it, you'll like it.  :-)

XP would even be far better than ME, but I'd go for W2k if you can
get it.  As far as I can see XP has nothing (that I want anyway) that
W2k doesn't have, and it has several things I definitely DO NOT want.

Gary