Re: testing software- build or buy??

You'll probably get a wide array of varying opinions on this subject.  TS-4
is getting a bit dated these days, but still has a lot of worthwhile
capabilities for back-testing simple systems that are based on price data
and canned studies or simple user created studies.

I've been programming for years and have developed much better stuff than
is possible with TS or other commercially available software, but I
wouldn't have wanted to pay a programmer (probably a few hundred grand or
more) to produce the software.

No easy answers, but if you can't do the programing yourself, any software
that you get from a hired gun will be no better than the specific
instructions that you're able to give him/her and you won't have any
guarantees that you'll get anything that is actually usable --