From: "Bob Fulks" <bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Simon Campbell" <simtrader@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Off topic] RAID motherboards

: I use RAID 0 on my fastest computers. It significantly increases the
: read data transfer rate. The difference in performance is very
: noticeable.
:
: It splits the data between two drives so for each access, half the
: data comes from one drive and half comes from the other drive. Both
: drives are considered a single "C" drive logically. So you would need
: two identical physical drives (20 GB for example) and the RAID 0
: array would look like a single 40 GB drive labeled drive "C".
:
: If you wanted a back-up drive, you would need to add a third physical
: drive which would become drive "D".
:
: Here is the results of an NBench test on my year-old Athlon 750
: system with three identical IBM 7200 RPM drives - two in a RAID 0
: array (drive C), and one for backup (drive D). Data rates are in
: bytes per second:
:
:    Drive    C     D     Ratio
:
:    Write:  43    34     1.26
:    Read    52    33     1.58
:
: IDE drives are now very fast and cost much less than SCSI. Several
: motherboards have the RAID controller built in or a low cost option.
:
: Bob Fulks
:
: