Re: EasyLanguage protected by copyright ?

> I find that no IDE can compare well with the tools that already exist.

Sounds like you've done a great job of working with the Unix-class
tools.  I'll confess I never tried to build a roll-your-own IDE out
of vi, ctags, etc etc.  Maybe I'd feel differently if I had.

> Actually I believe a 'trading system' would be very small, maybe a
> few hundered to a thousand lines.

A "trading system" can be trivially small.  A "trading system
development, backtesting, and realtime execution platform" is a
different beastie entirely, and that's what I want.

> If you view the data, indicators, and signals with something
> approaching the film _The Matrix_, then you require much less of
> the system and any real-time data thrown its way.

You lost me there.  :-)

> C++ with its constructors, destructors, overloading, mangling,
> templates, and other features allow the writing of a truely bad app
> to be trivial.

No argument there.  However I'd say the same is true, in spades, of
perl.  Maybe there aren't quite as many genuine landmines as there
are in C++, I don't know, but the default mode for Perl writers seems
to be to write it as tersely and hard-to-read as possible.  You'd
think they were writing Forth or something.  And for a performance-
oriented application like trading systems, I think C++ would have a
clear advantage.

But we're arguing religion here.  If we want to keep this up, we
probably ought to take it off the list.

> In general I can develop an app faster and more reliable in perl
> than I can in *any* other language.

That I'd easily believe.  It's the runtime performance that concerns
me.

> The translator is not at run-time (I just now realized this
> maybe some of the concern). Do all possible at compile time first,
> and run-time only as necessary.

Right, I understood that.
Gary