Re: EasyLanguage protected by copyright ?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Gary Fritz wrote:

> > repeat after me:
> > VB is not a trading platform.
> > VB is not a trading platform.
>
> Neither is any OTHER generic language.  EL itself, at least the
> language part of it, isn't a trading platform either.  It's the
> underlying libraries and support that make EL/TS a trading platform.

I disagree about EL not being a language for trading. The syntatic
sugar designed into EL is what allows it to be so easy in indicators
and functions for financial purposes. Without the syntatic sugar
it would be worse than other languages. The goal of designing a new
system is to provide, in some fashion, the same sort of
under-the-covers price management.

> If you want to move off TS and go to some other language, NO other
> language is a trading platform by itself.  You will have to write
> lots of support infrastructure to replace the infrastructure provided
> by TS.  I suspect you could write that infrastructure in VB at least
> as easily as you could in C++ or Perl.

Perl, lisp, and java would be easier than c++ or vb due to the way
it handles memory management and recovery.

Mike