Off topic: Windows ME

I am currently using Windows ME. I have been having trouble with my
resources being used up and have to reboot several times a day. It has been
getting worse. At one time I like to have open TS6, AOL IM, 1 or 2 IE,
Email, and brokerage account. I have taken almost all my shortcuts on the
desktop off and shut off many programs running in the background (start up).
This has helped some but I am still having trouble with system locking up
and or out of resources. Other than running less programs at once do you
folks have any suggestions? BTW I have 256K of Ram.
FC
PS. eventually I want to run all of the above along with quicken and 4
monitors.