Re: Does any one have experience with TS2000i on a Dual Athon system?

Hi Ernie,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ernie Bonugli" <ebonugli@xxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 6:33 AM
Subject: Does any one have experience with TS2000i on a Dual Athon system?

> Hello omega-list,
>
>   Before I make into this purchase, does anyone have a good or bad
> experience with the this dual athlon configuration

I have a similar setup.

>       Case:                 Lian-Li PC-60 Aluminum w/400W PS

I have this case -- it's excellent.  I stays cool and is easy to work on,
as well as being solid and well built.

>       Motherboards: -       Tyan Tiger 760 MPX S2466N DDR
>       Processor:  -         AMD Athlon MP 1900+ 266FSB
>       2nd Processor:  -     AMD Athlon MP 1900+ 266FSB

I have the Tyan Tiger S2460 motherboard with dual Athlon MP 1600+
processors.  It runs well but your applications need to know how to use
the second processor to get the best performance.

>       Heatsink Fans:  -     EC-CUC-610A Copper Base
>       2nd Heat Sink Fan:  - EC-CUC-610A Copper Base
>       Memory:  -            512 MB DDR REG ECC Corsair

I am now running with 512Mb of Kingston ECC Registered DDR.
I started with 1Gb but I was getting memory errors from what I
think was a faulty DDR stick.

>       Hard Drive:  -        Seagate Cheetah 36.7 GB 15k
>       CD-RW/DVD-RW:  -      Plextor 24x10x40 CDRW IDE

I have this on another machine.  It's very nice but the Sony 24X10X40
I have works just as well (and is cheaper!).

>       Floppy Drive:  -      1.44MB 3.5 inch Floppy Drive
>       Raid Controllers:  -  Adaptec 3210S RAID 2CH U160

I am not using RAID.  I'm assuming you're adding more HDDs
if you're going to run RAID.  Anyway, my experience of various
Adaptec boards is that they're good and solid.

Anyway, the short answer is that on my very similar system, TS2000i
runs very fast.  I have had a few issues with the machine crashing but
I am currently blaming these on Windows XP Professional (which looks
nice) but as usual, Microsoft wouldn't know commercial-grade stability
if it bit them on the arse.

Cheers,

Keith.