From: "Don Roos" <rosewood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Omega-list" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Jim Bronke" <jvbronke@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <avinojr@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: Walk forward optimization

: Jim and Alex:
:
: Walk forward optimizing and the use of a spread relationship for a system
: screen are totally different topics which should be considered separately,
: imho.
:
: In a short period of a few months of testing walk forward optimizing of a
: successful system versus a set of parameters that were not changed, I
found
: that the walk forward optimizing did much worse than the 2 yr optimization
: had done and then left unchanged.  This is not enough length of the WFO to
: be certain, but the info was enough for me, at the time, to consider other
: projects as more important.
:
: As far as the topic of the use of a spread relationship as a system
screen,
: it certainly may be and can be helpful at times when the seasonality is in
: favor of the system parameters.  However, when your system parameters are
: contraseasonal, you will have bad results.  Doing testing of the seasonal
: relationships of the spread over a long period (Moore Research uses 15
yrs)
: could be programmed into a system and would be much more useful as a
system
: screen than one without seasonality considered.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Don