Off Topic: UK tax self assessment

Could someone point me in the right direction for filing my tax return this
year?

I have been trading both futures contracts (stock indices) and stocks ,
always on a short term basis, often closing out the same day.

I'm not sure whether I should class these trades as Capital Gains (given the
short duration of each trade) or whether some other approach is better. I've
asked the Inland Revenue Help Desk this question but they are surprisingly
unknowledgable!

As I really don't want to be leached by an accountant given the relatively
low volume of trades I've done this year, any pointers as to how to proceed
would be appreciated!

Rob