useful TIP for service pak updates that won't install . . .

1-11-2002

We all know now that Win2000 is the most stable OS to
run TS 2000i or ProSuite on. But my upgrade scenario
of SP4 and SP5 to version 822 was not so smooth. Yeah,
I have 512 MB RAM, and over 1 gig of empty disk space.
So what.

Here's a tip to save you a few hours of frustration:
If you are attempting to upgrade TradeStation with
service packs (run a self-extracting "InstallShield"
archive) and you encounter the message "the
decompression of %s failed, there may not be enough
space in the temp directory". For Win 98 and below
it's not to tough to locate the Windows\Temp directory
and clean it out.

FIX for Windows 2000:       So you've already gone to
what appears to be the temp directory under WINNT or
other, cleaned it out, but you still keep getting
those errors . . . he-he.    Now, open a DOS box and
type "SET" to see where the TEMP variable is pointing
to on your system. On mine, it was pointing to:
"Documents and Settings>Our Name>Local Settings>Temp."

On Windows 2000 click:
Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt and type
"SET", then hit enter and go down the list to see
where the TEMP variable is pointing to. Then go there
and clean out that temp directory. For safety I copied
everything to a new directory I named TEMP_OLD (one
file would not copy or delete so I left it there).

For best results, always reboot after every install,
no matter how small, and always go and clean out that
temp directory everytime.

Shadow