Re: hurray tax time

>I have a question regarding futures.  I understand that profits and
>losses from futures trading is taxed at a rate between long term and
>short term capital gains/losses.  You state that the net on futures
>trading for the year is reported on Schedule D.

[butting in to the conversation]

No, that's not exactly what you do.  You fill out Form 6781 "Gains
and Losses from Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles" with data
from your Form 1099-B.  Of the gain (or loss) you report, 40% gets
recorded in Schedule D as SHORT-term capital gain (or loss), and 60%
gets recorded in Schedule D as LONG-term capital gain (or loss).

Form 6781 flows into Schedule D, which subsequently flows into your
1040 tax return.

I used to use TaxACT software but it doesn't support form 6781.
TurboTax Deluxe does (or did last year).

--
//  \
//___)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com