Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Lengthy Download

  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:58:47 +0800
  • From: Richard Dale <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Lengthy Download

Hi Super,

It really depends upon your PC's configuration and the amount of corporate actions that occur on the day.  But the report I provided below is typical.

Why not give it a go here:
http://www.premiumdata.net/products/premiumdata/freetrial.php
and see the performance for yourself.

If you don't achieve around 10 minutes per day worth of update, read our FAQs or contact us via our support email address and we'll see why your PC isn't performing as expected.  In general, if virus scanning is disabled on the data folder and the drive is reasonably defragmented and not running close to being full, the updates should progress fairly quickly.

That being said, the MetaStock data format is terribly ineffecient.  There is a massive operating system overhead in the one-file-per-stock method used by MetaStock.  We are in the process of moving to a database-oriented format on the client.  Daily updates take around 10-15 seconds for every day for all US securities.  Yes, I'm serious!  It's so quick I had to check to see whether it had actually done anything.  Initally we'll be developing access to it via a data plugin for AmiBroker.  Unfortunately MetaStock doesn't support data plugins so we have to maintain the old MetaStock file format - but we have been working on ways to improve the update time for multiple day updates for MetaStock so that will be forthcoming too.

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services
- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
  markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
www.premiumdata.net