Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Breadth Indicator

Another alternative is to purchase the add on "Fire" it will do the task and much more. I use i for the doing the same thing for th S&P 500 plus alot of other tasks - Mike

--- On Sun, 11/15/09, p_panther_73 <quantumb.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: p_panther_73 <quantumb.1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Breadth Indicator
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 3:06 AM

One way to do this inside Metastock is as follows:
Let's say that the securities of NYSE are named "s1", "s2",... "sN".
You can create some formulae, containing the following code:

fml("nyse 1")

a1:=security( "s1",c);
a2:=security( "s2",c);
............ .........
a10:=security( "s10",c);
(a1>mov(a1,40, s))+(a2>mov( a2,40,s)) +...+(a10> mov(a10,40, s));

fml("nyse 2")

a11:=security( "s11",c);
a12:=security( "s12",c);
............ .........
a1=20:=security( "s20",c);
(a11>mov(a11, 40,s))+(a12> mov(a12,40, s))+...+( a20>mov(a20, 40,s));

............ .........
fml ("nyse N/10");
............ .........

Then, you create one final formula,

fml("nyse all")

where you place:

fml("nyse 1")+fml("nyse 2")+...+fml( "nyse N/10");

This should work, but I think it's going to be very slow, or even make your pc freeze. You may also consider trying to read metastock data via a custom program and perform the necessary calculations automatically (at least this is what I personally prefer).
If you want to continue using your exploration, then why use sorting. You could simply take a sum of "1"s and there you have it!

Regards,

mc

--- In equismetastock@ yahoogroups. com, Rajiv Vyas <rajiv1@xxx> wrote:

> I wanted to create a simple breadth indicator -- how many stocks in
> NYSE are above their 40 day moving average. Right now, I run the
> formula in Explorer and then dump the data in excel and sort it. How
> does one do this without using excel?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Rajiv