Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Backtesting bugs

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Charles Brockman" <cmbrockman@xxx> wrote:

> trader3cnd wrote:
> > I read a paper about backtesting flaws and I am really concerned
> > since one of the programs my partner and I have been using for
> > several years is Metastock and it appears it is one of the programs
> > shown to have flaws in that paper.
> >
> > Does anyone know anything about those particular flaws/bugs discussed
> > in the paper and in which versions of Metastock were they present?
>
> I'm not aware that Metastock had or still has the problems cited in the
> Harris paper. I have independently (but not extensively) checked the results
> of Metastock trade simulations. They're quite good.
>
> On the other hand you are wise to be wary. For instance, there is
> significant uncertainty in applying an optimized investment system derived
> in Metastock and elsewhere to a live market. You stand a good chance that
> your investment rules are overoptimized. My Genetic System Search for
> Technical Analysis program introduces factors to minimize bad curve fitting.
> If I disable the standard deviation, parsimony and consecutive loss factors,
> the resulting formulas are distinctly different and possibly brittle. The
> investment system may not be profitable when presented with new data.
> (http://www.gssta.com/background.php)
>
> Take superfragalist's comments to heart.
>
> --
> Charles Brockman

Good work! TSL sells for 60K and basically does the same thing

http://www.tradingsystemlab.com/default.aspx

Have you heard of APS? It works with price patterns only and it is quite fast. It seems they stopped selling it.

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/

How long does it take to produce results with your program? I would guess it is a function of the indicator numbers you use. Can you give an example?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)