[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: .dll's

A .dll is a binary executable image containing instructions that the computer's CPU can read.  Generally .dll's are programs that support the primary executable image that has a .exe extension.

The reason you see so many .dll's in MS is that the script language MetaStock Formula Language has many limitations.  Further, it has not been updated in many years.

You can create .dll's for MetaStock by 1. buying the developer's  toolkit and then 2. obtaining a language compiler.  The Kit provides the low level 'hooks' into MS.

The complier should be one of the full featured language such as C++, but there are many others like Visual Basic, Java, Pascal etc. All of these can produce .dll modules for MS. Compilers can be purchased or there are several well supported languages available for free on the internet - Google for them.

As you can see, this is a long and expensive path to gain extra functionality.  There are many (like me) that have simply chosen to start over with another TA software package.  After research mostly at www.elitetrader.com I just started over again with AmiBroker a software package with a very powerful built-in language.  I'm very satisfied with my choice.

ReefBreak

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "keith" <fib1618@xxx> wrote:

> could someone advise exactly what a .dll is please.
> my impression is they are used to add in Functions that otherwise Metastock couldn't use.
> how does one make a .dll?  -
> are they made using VBA , VB6  or what language
> I've got some knowledge of VBA  if it helps
> can they be used to draw lines horizontally,  and other geometric shapes accurately?
> ie click on 2 or more points to draw Arcs, Circles, Squares etc
> are there any any "general" .dll's around that one could adapt?
> any advice appreciated as to where one may start
>
> thanks  Keith

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: