[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Trend Strength Index

Thomas,

True, they are all trend indicators. The problem that I see is that trends only occur 30% of the time. The other 70% is a matter of waiting until a trend begins if you are a trend rider.

The latest craze is using multiple timeframes. This at least helps to identify potential candidates early enough so that you are ready when the trend does begin.

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thomas12ng" <thomas12ng@xxx> wrote:

> Thanks mate!that is a crystal
>

> IMO this indicator similar to Guppy MMA construction and similar to Guppy method in defining the trend. Now I understand, why at that time (at equis international forum) you mentioned that this indicator pairs up with guppy method and DMX.
>

> Turning to DMX, I find that DMX has slightly slower reacted to the trend and seems that there has been a few signals for a big trades have been missing. and other tool such as CFB has given a few minor fallacy. still I have not figured out the second trend confirmation for my early system signals
>

> Regards,
>
> Thomas
>

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > In message 18455 I presented the Trend Strength Indicator.
> > Here it is again:
> >
> > {Trend Strength Indicator}
> > {for metastock, coded by P Umrysh}
> > {from the August 2005 issue of Active Trader Magazine}
> > PRD:= INPUT("ENTER PERIODS FOR SMA",1,100,10);
> > STEP:= INPUT("ENTER SMA STEPS",1,50,10);
> > A1:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD,S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD,S),-10,0));
> > A2:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+STEP,S),10, IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+STEP,S),-10,0));
> > A3:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*2),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*2),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A4:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*3),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*3),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A5:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*4),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*4),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A6:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*5),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*5),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A7:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*6),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*6),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A8:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*7),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*7),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A9:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*8),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*8),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A10:= IF(C > MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*9),S),10,IF(C < MOV(C,PRD+(STEP*9),S),-
> > 10,0));
> > A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10{end}
> >
> > Trend Strength Indicator
> > from the August 2005 issue of Active Trader Magazine
> >
> > Description
> > Looks how trendy a series is by comparing its price with various
> > SMAs. All SMAs from PeriodStart to PeriodEnd (in steps of the Step
> > parameter) are used for this indicator.
> > The idea behind: The more SMAs are below (or above) the price the
> > stronger is the trend of the price series. If some SMAs are above and
> > some are below the price no exact trend direction can be defined. The
> > indicator is normalized from -100 to +100, which serves as a value of
> > how many SMAs are above or below the price:
> >
> > + 100 Price is above all SMAs, i.e. all SMAs are below the price
> > > 0 Price is above most SMAs
> > 0 Price is above 50% and below the other 50% SMAs
> > < 0 Price is below most SMAs
> > - 100 Price is below all SMAs, i.e. all SMAs are above the price

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)