Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Fw: T3 Oscillator -- Expert Advisor setting (file attached)

Hi Steve
    Thks for the explaination. It help a lot  for me to understand better . I will try the correct level from equities that I am tradings .

rgds

From: Steve Karnish <skeeter47@xxxxxxxxx>
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 9 March 2009 1:39:42
Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Fw: T3 Oscillator -- Expert Advisor setting (file attached)

Alvin,

Tillson's original T3 has .7 plugged into all the places I have .618.   All you have to do is plot both formulae and I'm sure you will agree that it makes very little difference.  The T3 oscillator is similar to moving average oscillators that I have been playing with since 1975.  Since I believe the T3 series of moving averages are smoother and have less lag than other m.a.'s, I use T3's in many of my oscillators.  I also use a T8 (T3 of eight periods) to define trend.  The eight periods tend to suit my momentum swing trading style.  If trend is part of a mechanical approach that I am building, I usually favor the T8's direction to tell  me if the market is currently positive or negative.

As far as trigger levels as applied to moving average oscillators: much depends on volatility and the underlying issue.  I would never consider -1.5/+1.5 as triggers if I was trading crude oil (which routinely travels from -5/+5).  Also, keep in mind that if an issue is trading at a low price, then the T3 Osc is only going to travel as far as the range can take it.  Large priced, volatile issues demand big trigger numbers.  Low priced, low-volatility issues develop very tight spreads between the high and low levels of the T3 Osc.

I don't know which seminar the Cisco chart was culled from... but, I would suggest that the chart is ancient history.  Although, mechanical trading can be a somewhat exacting science, markets are constantly changing.  Technicians can become very stubborn about their "holy grail" approaches and can get married to trigger levels, filters and over-optimizing.  The market dynamics have changed dramatically during the last six months (with a major change in volatily changing in August of 2007).  Certainly there is a better trigger level to guide your trading then what I might of published a year ago.

Hopefully, you know how to optimize for trigger levels ... which will allow you to understand what has worked for Cisco for the last three, six, twelve, sixty months.  There are many fine approaches to the market.  None of them work on all market conditions.  The art of trading depends on being able to adapt to market conditions.  I hope this helps.

Take care,

Steve