Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Coding request

Hi John

I thought my reply yesterday would have given you enough information to come up with a simpler formula such as the one that follows. I apologise if I did not give sufficient information.

C>Mov(C,30,E);

Putting your formula aside for a moment let's just work from your stated conditions. I'm not going to try and second-guess what you really meant if it is something different from what you said.

"If the closing price crosses above the 30 week EMA or is already above the EMA, and the EMA has turned upwards, then....."

You can use the knowledge that an EMA ALWAYS heads towards the price to deduce the following points.

1. If C crosses above its 30-period EMA then C must now be higher than the EMA.
2. If C is higher than its 30-period EMA it must have crossed above C at some previous point.
3. If C is higher than its 30-period EMA it must have turned upward when C crossed above the EMA.

I suggest that "C>Mov(C,30,E)" meets all your stated conditions and the extra code you have added is either redundant or contradictory.

The last two lines of code are out of place and would be more appropriate (with one bar less delay) in picking the point at which an SMA turned upwards. Picking the point at which an EMA turns upwards is derived from
Cross(C,Mov(C,30,E)), which is consistent with my earlier statement that "an EMA ALWAYS heads towards the price".

I think it would be helpful for you if you checked my suggestions using the Indicator Builder and a chart or two. Separate out each expression and compare binary plots against what you see happening with the price and moving average. There's no substitute for checking results visually, and taking the time to figure out what appears to not make sense.

Hope this helps more than my previous offering.

Regards

Roy
www.metastocktips.co.nz