[EquisMetaStock Group] Inside()

I do not understand (***)  this from Equis:

Inside
Syntax     inside()

This will return a +1 whenever an inside day occurs. ***It will continue
to return this same value until either a Rally, Reaction, or an Outside
day occur.***  At any time where Inside() is not equal to +1, it will be
equal to 0.

Now: If I run the following:

Inside(), col a
Inside()-1, col b
Inside()-2, col c

the exploration always returns 0 (zero) or 1 in column a,  0 or -1.0 in
column b, and in Col c, -1 or -2.

Questions:
a) what does -1 and -2 mean?
b) why am I not getting an inside day for today and yesterday, and the
day before?
c)  is there a better way to do this?

Regards,

Dan