[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: 50 EMA Above/Below Ratio

mmbbrr79 and Pablo,

"There is a very big difference between just hammering away with
numbers, and understanding precisely what the numbers are showing you."

There is no (or at least very little) difference between:

{Method 1}
AboveDays/Max(BelowDays,1)

and

{Method 2}
AboveDays/lookback.

Put some sample data in it and see for yourself:

If lookback=10 and there was:

0 days above the EMA and 0 days below the EMA (all the days were ON
the EMA, if it were possible)
=> Method 1 = 0/Max(0,1) = 0.0 (WITHOUT tripping an error)
=> Method 2 = 0/10 = 0.0

etc

5 days above the EMA and 5 days below the EMA
=> Method 1 = 5/5 = 1.0
=> Method 2 = 5/10 = 0.5

etc

10 days above the EMA and 0 days below the EMA
=> Method 1 = 10/Max(0,1) = 10.0
=> Method 2 = 10/10 = 1.0

Method 1 has a range of 0 to x, so is normalised in this range.
Method 2 has a range of 0 to 1, so is classically normalised.

The shape of the plotted graph will be the same, just on different
scales.  Method 1 will produce relatively smooth changes over a time
period (more 'roundness') as it has the larger range. Method 2 will be
a little more 'spiky' as the range is small in the same time period.

Trigger levels etc can be coded in exactly the same way, and will
produce very similar results, if not exactly the same results.

Instead of arguing about it here, why not write both systems into MS
and see which one YOU like.  I haven't bothered testing it in MS
becuase I don't value the indicator.  I am not going to say it wont
work for an individual's trading system, but, just by looking at the
code snippets I know that it isn't in MY trading style.

Again,
"There is a very big difference between just hammering away with
numbers, and understanding precisely what the numbers are showing you."

Its not a matter of being right or wrong; its a matter of YOU deciding
what INFORMATION you want to get out of YOUR plot.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM