From: Paolo
To: Roy Larsen
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:25 PM
Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] "Fully" posible

Roy,
     Thank U very much for all your explanations and patience.
It's "fully" posible I'm doing something wrong but It's becoming very
hard to find my mistake.
About the bars, I'm exploring 10,000 records (more than enought) but
the problem still.
I want to say I found very interesting your suggestions to "Dan" about
how make an indicator.
I  hope  in  a future to be able to understand Metastock as U and Jose
Silva do :)
Thanks for spend your time with us ("new users") :)
Best regards,
              Pablo

PS: anyway if someone can try my code as indicator and explorer to see
if my problem has a solution I'd be very happy!!!

RL> Hi Pablo

RL> I think the mistake is your's, though not one of the possibilities I suggested. This code is counting events (divergences), so it follows that to get the same result from the Explorer as the
RL> Indicator Builder you MUST compare apples with apples (use the same number of bars). The Explorer only reports to 4 decimal digits so this value may be rounded (and therefore different) from the
RL> value on a chart via the data window. This however is an issue that most of us can live with, and it's not related to your problem.

RL> If MetaStock is set to open 2500 bars for a chart then you must explore 2500 bars also to be sure of capturing the same number of divergences and generating the same results from the exploration.
RL> Even a difference of one bar could legitimately give a different result. This is a fact of life when accumulating data - your starting point is (date, time or bar) has a big influence on the
RL> final result. The earlier you start accumulating the greater the probability that you will accumulate more divergences.

RL> This comes back to what Preston told you - "Make sure that the displayed data and the explored data are the same". In many situations it's reasonable to expect that an accurate result is possible
RL> by exploring many fewer bars than usually required for an open chart, but the particular formula you're using demands that you use exactly the same number of bars as the chart you're are
RL> comparing the result with. To do otherwise, as you have proved, generates different values from the accumulations and therefore different results.

RL> I don't need to be a defender of MetaStock. MS is not perfect, but most reported problems from new users are not the result of MetaStock making the mistakes.

RL> Regards

RL> Roy
RL> www.metastocktips.co.nz

s2>>Mov(s2,pds,E)  AND  (s2>Ref(s2,-pds)),-1,
If(s1>>Mov(s1,pds,E) AND  (s1>Ref(s1,-pds)) AND
RL> s2<Mov(s2,pds,E)  AND  (s2<Ref(s2,-pds)) ,1,0));

RL> DP:=If(divs=1,divs+PREV,PREV);  { acumulate of (+)divs }
RL> DN:=If(divs=-1,divs+PREV,PREV); { acumulate of (-)divs }

RL> Abs(DP/DN); {Ratio}

RL> Filter:  (of course, NOT in the indicator)
RL> =======

RL> ColA<>0
RL> --------
RL> Thank U in advance!
RL> Best reagards,
RL>               Pablo

RL>> Hi Paolo

RL>> I suggest that you Edit your exploration, look under Options, and set Exploration Date to Most Recent Date. Each exploration has this choice, and if you created your exploration by copying from
RL>> another that was set to Specific Date then the new exploration will have the same setting.

RL>> Another distinct possibility is that you have Periodicity set incorrectly - this will also give values that are way off.

RL>> The one thing that you can be sure of is that your exploration is doing exactly what you have told it to do. You are responsible for errors in the results, and accepting that will enable you to
RL>> follow through and fix mistakes. Assuming that the problem lies with the Explorer makes finding the problem much harder because you'll be looking in the wrong places. I'm not suggesting that you
RL>> personally are blaming MetaStock, but offering my thoughts for those that whose first thought is such a situation is to ask "what is MetaStock doing wrong?" when the question should be "what am I
RL>> doing wrong?".

RL>> Regards

RL>> Roy
RL>> www.metastocktips.co.nz

p>>> You explored a different length of data. Make sure that the
p>>> displayed data and explored data are the same. When you first open
p>>> the explorer window, you will notice an explore, reports, and
p>>> options button at the bottom. Go into options to set the looback
p>>> period.

p>>> Preston

p>>> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paolo <italoarg76@xxx> wrote:

> [...]

p>>> Yahoo! Groups Links

RL>> Pablo Bozzolo

RL>> ---
RL>> Contact info:

RL>> Movil: 221 5384617
RL>> E-mail: italoarg76@xxxxxxxx
RL>> MSN: italoarg76@xxxxxxxxxxx
RL>> ICQ: 77207033

RL>>       Business finance consultant  Business finance magazine  Business finance schools

RL>> Yahoo! Groups Links

RL> Pablo Bozzolo

RL> ---
RL> Contact info:

RL> Movil: 221 5384617
RL> E-mail: italoarg76@xxxxxxxx
RL> MSN: italoarg76@xxxxxxxxxxx
RL> ICQ: 77207033

RL>       Business finance consultant  Business finance magazine  Business finance schools

RL> Yahoo! Groups Links

Pablo Bozzolo

---

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM