Re: Different RSI in MetaStock ?

Onno

Perhaps the difference is merely the use (or not) of Wilders smoothing? See
my simulation of the MS version.

  {RSI Indicator}
A:=Input("RSI periods",2,50,14);
B:=CLOSE; {RSI target array}
U:=Wilders(If(B>Ref(B,-1),B-Ref(B,-1),0),A);
D:=Wilders(If(B<Ref(B,-1),Ref(B,-1)-B,0),A);
100-(100/(1+(U/D)));

Roy

I wondered if others have noticed the same.
It seems that the calculation for RSI in MetaStock differs from the
standard RSI calculation.

I 'm trying to "translate" my MetaStock trading system into an Excel
sheet.
And because my MetaStock trading system contains RSI, I need
to "translate" the RSI calculation into Excel.

Attached Excel sheet contains my RSI calculation (sheet: calc 1).
Other calculations downloaded from the Internet give the same values
for RSI as my calculation (sheet: calc 2).

MetaStock RSI values are shown in red.

1. Which version is correct ?
2. How does MetaStock calculate their RSI ?

Thanks for your input.

Kind regards,
Onno