Re: Procedure for using a text file to create a list of stocks in a empty data directory

Hi Bodo -

I  am not sure this would take less time, but you might try cross matching
the two lists in Excel (use Vlookup), keep omly the new tickers on the list.
Use that list to create a new directory of tickers. Get the whole history
for just that directory (New Directory). Remove the tickers that are no longer
on the list from the Old Directory. Then copy the tickers from the New Directory
to the Old Directory.The Copy and Delete features are under the Tools menu
.

Ron

Bodo Brochterbeck wrote:
200112151035010156.12ABF88B@xxxxxxxxxxx">
  Hi James,

    Procedure for using a text file to create a list of stocks in a empty datadirectory in Downloader

    Excellent post, many newbies need it. I put it in my own archive, too.Do you also have a solution for the following problem?I get a list of 400 symbols every week from valueline (www.valueline.com) with the so called timeliness ranked stocks. This list changes every week, some stocks are added to, some are dropped from the list. In my MS directory there is the list and the historical quotes (downloaded with the downloader in the meantime) of the valueline list from last week:AA quotesBB quotes...ZZ quotesIn the new list there are some new stocks and I still have the symbol list onlyAA (without quotes)AB (without quotes)BB (without quotes)...ZY (without quotes)In this example AB has been added to, and ZZ has been withdrawn from the list. What I could do is completely delete the old directory, set up the lat
est list of symbols according to your procedure, and then download all quotes including all historical quotes. This takes time. Especially, if you have more lists to maintain.Is there a method to update the directory, keeping all historical quotes that continue to be on the list and deleting those that are no longer in the list and adding all the new ones? The new stocks of course will need a complete historical download. But not the whole list.Regards,Bodo