morning futures reports

Hi-

Could someone answer a quick question I have
about the early morning futures quotes on CNBC. I
am fairly new to trading, and I still work for a living, placing my orders in
the early morning before I leave for work. I have recently started turning on
CNBC to get the overnight numbers for the Dow, Nasdaq and S+P futures
before deciding whether to place any trades that day. I understand that, in
general, an overnight rally in the futures prices means that the markets are
likely to open higher, and vice versa. My question is (assuming there is no
market-moving news during the course of the day), do these numbers provide
any insite into whether the markets are likely go on and close higher on
that day,  or am I better off not trying to read anything into it?
- i.e., Is there any correlation at all between the overnight
futures and the next days's close? Thanks very much!