God Bless America

Like so many of you, I feel deeply for the terrible tragedy that has
occurred. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families,
and with the American people.

Germany is in shock. All public building are flagged at half-mast. In
uninterrupted streams for the past 30 or so hours, people have been placing
flowers in front of the American embassy in Berlin, and the American
consulates in other cities. During working hours, you could see many school
children who came individually or with their teacher, trying to place their
flowers as close to the embassy gates as possible; during lunch break and
after the offices close, the other age groups come. Many are sobbing, or
have tears in their eyes. Now, at night, you see numerous windows that have
candles placed in them. Memorial services are being held all over the
country for the victims. This morning a memorial service was held in a large
cathedral in Berlin, with the Chancellor and other dignitaries present. The
cathedral was filled to the overflowing, with so many people wanting to
attend that a second service had to be scheduled immediately thereafter.

The world, and Germany in particular, has much for which to be thankful to
America; now America deserves the loyalty of her allies. Her kind,
large-hearted, and freedom-loving spirit, more than any technological power,
has made America the leader of the world and a beacon of light and hope for
the downtrodden nations. I know this great nation will prevail over the
present crisis, and come out the stronger for it. God bless America!

Michael Suesserott