From: "Yarroll" <komin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 5:23 PM
Subject: Across timeframes:-))

> Hello List,
>
> Guided by Dave's good example {:-))} I thought I'd share a Metastock trick
> came across...
>
> You may be aware of the difficulty (impossiblity) of testing a system
> simultaneously on different timeframes. Like, you want to go long when C
> crosses Mov(C,5,S) on daily chart only if C is above Mov(C,5,S) on weekly.
> Not anymore! (Well... sort of:-((}
>
> First, if you test a system on one security but using different timeframes
> (daily and weekly), you'll have to copy your security and convert it into
> weekly data; next, reference your weekly data using the
> ity(
> function. But then, Metastock will give you a message to the effect
"Please choose a security with compatible periodicity" etc.
> Here's the trick. In the ASCII format, replace "W" letter (for Weekly)
with "D":-))

> So:
>
> - the data you're testing the system on is daily; the system references
weekly data (from another folder) using  the "Security" function;
> - and your weekly data from another folder are converted from ASCII file
with lines like this:
> My_weekly_security,D,20010625,100,101,99,100,1000000
>
> {Note that "W" for weekly data has been replaced with "D" for daily}
>
> This way Metastock is fooled into "thinking" it's all daily data :-))
>
> This is not as optimistic as it looks though. If you treat weekly data as
in this example, the system would reference them statically - that is, as if
you've looked at weekly chart once a week, and not every day. And weekly
charts seen every day can and will change dynamically (and, with hindsight,
just like ZigZag function:-((}.