Evaluating MS Trading Systems

  • To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Evaluating MS Trading Systems
  • From: Herman van den Bergen <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:26:44 -0700

Hi,

One of the most difficult problems I face is to evaluate systems during
development. If we had a proper way to evaluate systems during development
we could save lots of time...

I use the MSBT add-in to test my systems on multiple securities (50-3000)
and at the same time I use it as a stock screen. It is a great way to find
stocks that work with your system.

In Excel I average each of the 50 MSBT columns from the MSBT report and
display the averages in relevant groupings on a single page. I get a nice
overview but I still haven't figured out a mathematical way to massage the
many averages into meaningful performance measurements.

Has anybody worked out a system to do this?

How does one interpret the average P/L ratio (or any other common ratio)
for a 3000-security system test?

One useful test is to calculate the number of improved returns (compared to
B/H), kinda neat to see that 60% or so improved. One can also set a
threshold and see how many stocks improved more than a certain percentage.

If you are using the MSBT I'd like to hear how you use it.

Happy trading,
Herman.