Re: new user questions

Theo,

I would have to disagree with you regarding the MS "language".  Between having to "fix" its subtraction calculations to it's inability to calculate my indicators, I've had to give up on using it as a programming language, per se.  And yes, I do know how to program, having done it for over 40 years now.  I think my problem with MS is that I program our system using very structured code and my calculations go down several levels.  Even converting everything over to using their variable capabilities, I am nowhere near reaching the limits described in the manual.  According to the manual, I'm probably not using 10% of MS's calculation capabilities and it still dies.  After spending months and months working on it, I finally gave up.

I had taken the approach of adding one variable at a time and checking the results against intermediate results from two other systems.  MS finally reached a poing where it wouldn't accept any more calculations.  I know this for a fact since when I reached this point, I tried several different calculations, mostly very simple ones, and MS choked on all of them.  When calculating our indicator, I only plotted the one I was working on in order to eliminate any conflicts, etc.  It was taking upwards of a minute to calculate 6 months worth of data.  Our short-term indicator takes approximately 3 to 5 seconds to process the same time period.

We're still running our longer-term signals in Clipper under DOS.

My hardware is:  PII-400MHz, 196MB RAM, 13GB disk, Win98SE and a bunch of other stuff.  My brother just upgraded to a 1.3GHz P-IV, but since he lives 350 miles away, I wasn't able to see if this would make a difference in MS, but my thought is probably not.  I'll be upgrading later this year, so I might try MS again, one more time, but won't spend much time on it as it hasn't proven cost effective.

It's really a pain, since we're unable to automate any of our backtesting without using these indicators.  We're still doing them in Excel, mostly by hand.

Regards,

Guy

<<Ivo

"
Of course,
> > they call
> > their formula-building capability also a "language", but it
> > has not evolved
> > out of the cave yet - you will get very frustrated if you
> > want to program
> > anything more than a simple indicator.
"

I donot agree on this statement :  i have a complicated indicator
system working Realtime in MS.

Theo Lockefeer.