Re: Programming Bill Williams fractals

Bob (and Ed),

While I've not tried to progran the Williams's fractals, they seem to be
little
more than 5 period Pivot point highs (Up Fractal) and Pivot lows (Down
Fractal) as defined in his book, "Trading Chaos".  But the coding wouldn't
be trivial as the rules state that Inside Bars are ignored in the count, and
that fractals close together can share bars in their counts.  So neither
code
segment submitted earlier today follow William's definition as defined in
his book.

Also, while some of  the indicators and the Expert are provided in my ver.
7.0 of Metastock, the fractal indicator is not.

Here are Williams's rules for finding a fractal (pgs 135-139):

1. The fractal pattern consists of a minimum of 5 consecutive bars.
2. Inside bars are ignored so the total consecutive bar count might be
    greater than 5
3. The middle of the 5 bars must have a higher high (or lower low) than
    the 2 preceeding and 2 following bars.
4. If a bar that is not the middle bar has the same high (or low) as the
    middle bar it is not counted as one of the 5 bars that constitute the
    pattern.
5. Two adjacent fractal bars may share bars to make their pattern.  This
    is seen to occur when immediately after the new higher high middle bar,
    there is an openning gap down (up).  Prices then move up (or down) in
    the previous direction prior to the gap.

The whole point to finding the fractal is to determine a good entry point.
Per Williams, that point would be to go long, prices have to take out the
prior high (or low) if going long (or short).

As I see the fractal definitions Williams has documented, he is merely
using different lanuage to describe swing trading -- at least as I
understand
swing trading.

If anyone out there has a swing trading indicator they would like to post,
the Williams fractal indicator could probably be easily modified to from it.

Hope this helps! ................... John