System Tester and Position Sizing Algorithms

>From a private message regarding the inability of the System Tester to
properly handle position sizing alogorithms.....

I'm making my response public to see if anyone has additional insights or
wants to express a counter point, basically to see if this might be a good
discussion topic.
---

Yes, I have found this difficulty as well. Depending on your position sizing
alogorithm, you may be able to get results by running a Points Only Test in
the System Tester, then exporting the results to Excel. In Excel, you could
create a couple of additional columns (account size, trade size or
percentage, then a multiplier for the point win or loss by trade).

This involves a few more steps, but can be useful in your systems
development. I also use the Maximum Adverse Excursion results from the
System Tester in Excel to help me evaluate the system's performance.

The MDK will solve this and most all of the shortcomings of the Formula
Language. But you must be willing to program it all in C++ or the
Professional Version of Visual Basic. I don't think Visual Basic would be
really much different from learning Omega's Easy Language in Tradestation.

Again, at least in my opinion, with the MDK and say Visual Basic, you have
all of the programming power of Tradestation without the bugs and with the
very good graphics of MetaStock.

Dave Nadeau
Fort Collins, CO