Re: The Most Valuable Thing about Real Time Quotes...a Question...and the Market...

  • To: "Steven Buss" <metastock-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: The Most Valuable Thing about Real Time Quotes...a Question...and the Market...
  • From: "Richard Estes" <restes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:21:12 -0800 (PST)

Of course, system testing is a confirmer of results that would have been
obtained in the past. Running the test without stops and see what the system
will do with no restraints will bring about "trust".

Every so often I see people using optimization, I see little value in
distorting the results by using this feature. It might be useful to get in
the ballpark for period adjustments in research but has no place in a active
system.

Real time charts will give quick confirmations of ideas, but here it is rare
to find software to test what the results would be over time. I like to use
5min charts. If I use my favorite 89 period MA that is 7.4 hours, the 1/2
cycle is 44.5 or 3.7 hours. In an active, volatile, stock you have a trade a
day on average. Only daytraders can benefit from the small % moves.

Richard Estes