jeff brady <jbrady@xxxxxxxx>: [Fwd: Bill Ford <whford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>: Re: : vedic astrology financial markets]

  • To: cma <cma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: End-of-day data
  • From: doug schneider <dschneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:17:29 -0800 (PST)

At 12:39 PM 12/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Question for Doug on new version of Quotes Plus. When I tried out Quotes
>Plus, it did a good job of downloading end-of-day data to MSPRO files
>and the price was very competitive. One big problem: you had to maintain
>the entire Quotes Plus database on your HD, not just the securities in
>your MSPRO directories. This waste of HD space is not feasible for many.
>
>   Does the new version of Quotes Plus allow maintaining a minimal
>Quotes Plus database on the HD?
>                                        Thanks, CMA

Yes, it is certainly true that q+ takes a big bite (in excess of 100MB) out
of your hard drive memory.  The program functions as a stand alone product
and although fully compatible with MS for example, is independent of any
other charting programs you might use and thus maintains its own data file
on your HD by replacing (and updating for splits, etc) a significant chunk
of the file each day.

Many of us who use q+ find that its speed of downloading and its speed of
preliminary scanning far outweigh the disadvantage of the program using
such a big chunk of HD to maintain  9000+ securities in its database.  I
personally find that basic scanning in metastock is impossibly slow if you
have a database of any respectable size.  Instead, I run all of my initial
scans in q+, and only the distillate is transferred (automatically) to MS
where I run my final scans with its more sophisticated indicators.  I then
eyeball the resultant few securities remaining from the filtering process.

However..............., you do need a big HD to accomodate the files.
Fortunately, big HDs are becoming even bigger and cheaper practically every
day.  My 2 year old 2.1 GB drive now seems puny compared to the new ones
now available.

doug