ms 6.5

Chip,
I don't know where a comprehensive list is which will detail all indexes.
 However, if you have stock indexes from various exchanges, you can find the
full description at the exchange's website.  For example, the SOX index is
defined at the Philadelphia Stock Exchange's website.

I haven't visited these sites for 4 months but here are the URL's:
Philadelphia website:
http://www.libertynet.org/~phlx/

NASDAQ composite description webpage:
http://www.nasdaq.com/dyn/html2/activitydescribe.stm#composite