Re: All you know is (censored).

I had asked about how to play the dow on the down turn. I received these great
them back to the group. They are all going into the "Good-Advice" directory.

They are not any any particular order. There are five total.

---------------------------------1-----------------------------------

I just happen to have run a screen on the DJ-30, sorting for alpha over
the last several weeks.  As I'm sure you know, the worse the stock has
performed relative to an index,  the more negative the alpha. The index
used was the S & P.

This may not answer your question of whether to look at stock price or
earnings growth, but it may be of interest, especially since Hewlett
Packard has the highest alpha over the time span.

Weakest stocks are listed first.

                             8/21     7/24      6/26
Stock                    close    close    close      beta    alpha

--------                     -------- -------- -------- --------
--------   ---------
dj Coca-Cola            60.62    70.19    69.88     1.23    -0.70
dj Eastman Kodak    66.62    68.12    77.88     0.25    -0.62
dj M M M                 91.50    95.62   102.00     0.63   -0.57
dj J'son & J'son        59.12    61.88    63.88     1.27    -0.56
dj Merck                  94.75   103.75   101.75     0.69   -0.45
dj United Technl       80.75    85.62    84.44     0.85    -0.40
dj Disney                 78.88    79.31    81.56     0.93    -0.37
dj Gen'l Elec            65.94    71.88    65.12     1.36    -0.25
dj ProcterGamble  137.88   153.50   136.50     1.24    -0.24
dj Exxon                 62.31    62.00    61.19     1.29    -0.20
dj Morgan, J P       112.12   109.19   107.69     1.22   -0.08
dj McDonald's         49.62    52.50    48.88     0.59     -0.06
dj Goodyear            62.75    63.62    61.75     0.48     -0.03
dj Allied Sig            85.56    93.00    82.50     0.90     -0.02
dj Philip Morris        44.75    43.94    42.81     1.12     -0.01
dj Travelers             67.38    70.75    63.25     1.34      0.04
dj Boeing                56.62    60.00    53.75     1.08      0.05
dj DuPont               65.94    67.12    61.12     1.33      0.14
dj Chevron              78.75    76.88    73.88     0.81      0.20
dj Amer Express     81.62    79.62    75.12     1.30      0.21
dj Int'l Paper           54.69    59.19    49.62     1.27      0.36
dj Sears                 58.75    61.75    53.19     1.11      0.40
dj Wal-Mart            36.69    37.00    33.00     1.03      0.50
dj A T & T              39.94    35.62    36.12     0.83      0.53
dj ALCOA              84.88    84.00    75.38     0.88      0.66
dj Union Carbide     53.62    52.75    47.31     0.85      0.74
dj Caterpillar           60.12    55.00    52.81     0.63      0.98
dj Gen'l Motors       63.31    58.38    55.38     0.61      1.00
dj I B M                105.75   107.81   90.62     0.62      1.27
dj Hewlett Pack      64.00    64.81    54.00     0.98      1.30

------------------------------2---------------------------------

     I'd find one that's in an intermediate term down trend and close to
the top of the channel.  Since I don't have the DOW stocks in my database,
I don't know which one that is.  By the way, If I was going to short, I'd
look for the high PE stocks with disappointing earnings, not the DOW
stocks.

-------------------------------------3----------------------------

go against the whole group and buy "puts" !!!
please keep it simple.

-------------------------------------4-------------------------------

Thought you might enjoy this Cramer rant about shorting...In case you're
not familiar with him, he's a regular on CNBC, a hedge fund manager,
and writes a column called "Wrong!" at www.thestreet.com. (Pretty funny
guy)

Personally, I prefer puts to shorting (sleep better) and credit put
spreads on decreasing relative strength (IBD) stocks even more. I use
LEAP puts, so that all I need is a 10 point move either way, during the
course of a year or so...

Anyway, here's the article:

Truth Serum Features & Columns
                Wrong! The Rules of Shorting, by Mrs.
                Cramer

                May 1, 1997

                By James Cramer

                The fascination with the short side knows no boundaries.
Ever since I
                began writing for The Street about short-selling
escapades, my email box
                has been flooded with requests about what to short and
what not to
                short, and which instruments I use to get short.

                As I will always decline to offer an individual advice
on- or off-line about
                individual securities, let me save you some email ink: I
am not going to
                respond to suggestions that I write negative articles
about certain stocks
                and I am not going to bash stocks so that you or I can
buy them lower.

                But, I do feel I can offer some general guidelines that
will make it so you
                won't come crying to me about your Microsoft short or
your Cisco
                puts. These guidelines are worth much more than a list
of stocks I have
                puts on, as I short strategically, as a method of
decreasing my exposure,
                more than I short to shoot the lights out.

                First, my wife wrote my short-selling bible. She traded
for legendary
                short-seller Michael Steinhardt for years before we
married and
                worked together and she is as fearless as they come. I
can't tell you how
                many times my wife would grit her teeth and put out more
stock when the
                yahoos rallied her shorts. She almost always took the
other side when I
                wanted to capitulate and she would double down on a bad
short and
                work her way back to even, a small profit or a home run.

                All of this during the greatest bull market in history.

                I always thought she had nerves of steel. What she had
though was a
                rock-solid core of disciplines and beliefs that were her
only friends. So
                rather than cobble together my own anecdotal insights,
which are funny
                but unactionable, I'll let you in on her basic tenets.

                Print them out, pin them somewhere, carry them in your
wallet, take them
                on vacation, tattoo them to your forehead. Just don't
forget them. They
                have saved me a million times. They will do the same for
you. (As Karen
                is plain-speaking, you won't have any trouble
understanding them,
                either.)

                  Known simply as the Business Week cover rule, Karen
would always
                ask me, "Do you think that this stock could be on the
cover of Business
                Week as the world's greatest company?" Simple rule.
Lifesaver. There is
                nothing worse than being short Merck, as I was once, and
then reading
                a loving Merck B-Week cover story three days later. If
your short idea
                involves a great company, forget it. Even if you have
insight, just forget it.

                  Can the company be taken over? If yes, Karen would say
to me,
                "You are on your own." I've been short three companies
that received
                bids in my career: NCR, Systemix and Genentech. With
each one I
                had what I thought was a great reason to be short. The
first two had
                disastrous fundamentals, as the acquiring companies
later found out. The
                third had traced out a perfect head-and-shoulders
pattern (technical
                analysis jargon for a stock that's about to roll over
big), something I
                guess Hoffmann-LaRoche didn't care about when it made
its partial
                tender. In all three cases I could have guessed that a
takeover could have
                occurred, and I should never have been short them. This
point alone is
                worth millions.

                  Never short because of valuation. I don't care what
Microsoft sells
                for, it doesn't matter what the P/E of Ascend is, it is
irrelevant that
                Vertex has no earnings. Never, ever try to call an
irrational top based
                solely on multiples of sales or earnings. There will
always be some mutual
                fund out there that will keep the ball in the air and
crush you. Steinhardt
                taught this to me and my wife, though ironically he
never listened to it and
                he lost a ton of money shorting good companies because
he ignored his
                own teaching. Take Cisco: seemed expensive for years,
but as it kept
                beating numbers it looked cheaper and cheaper on past
earnings. Turned
                out to be a bargain in 1992.

                  Use puts where you can instead of common stock. Puts
don't subject
                you to being "bought in" when stock can't be found to
borrow, and puts
                limit your losses. Lots of great short-sellers went out
of business in 1990
                because they shorted common and discovered that stocks
do go to
                infinity. If you are sure something is going to go down,
but don't know
                when, use deep puts going out many months. You will
never regret
                paying the extra vig. This way you can't be wiped out by
a Microsoft,
                Intel or Wells Fargo, which, at various times, resemble
Eveready
                Bunnies more than stocks.

                  Never be part of a gang tackle. If you ever hear of a
bunch of people
                shorting the same names and you are shorting them too, I
can tell you that
                you will be a dead man. Karen would always ask me, "Does
anybody
                else have this call?" If the answer was yes, her answer
was no.

                  Most important: It is not cool to short. Karen
short-sold for a living
                and it is gut-wrenching, harrowing and extremely
rewarding when you are
                right, and mind-numbingly painful -- truly Novocaine
free -- when you
                are wrong. But there is nothing suave or gallant about
shorting. Hedge
                fund managers always like to brag about their shorts.
They think that it
                distinguishes them as truly intense, sharp thinkers.
Nah, my wife would
                say, "same as going long, except you can't quantify the
loss."

                So, short-sellers, good luck to you. You'll need it.

My feeling in this matter would be to short that
stock which has had the tendency to suffer the largest percentage drop
under fear of a retraction.
Harley Meyer
meyer093@xxxxxxxxxx