Re: MS formulas to Excel

Tim Kruzel wrote:

> To All interested in the OBTR formula,
> In my original note containing the OBTR MetaStock formula
> I neglected to mention that the author of the formula
> (T. Bierovic) recommends using a 9 period exponential
> moving average of the OBTR along with the unsmoothed OBTR.
>
> He looks for crossing points as indicators. If nothing
> else,
> the moving average of the OBTR provides a nice visual cue
> for looking at the relative changes in the OBTR itself.

Livewire uses a default setting of 10 periods.  9 periods
gives faster reaction to a change in trend but will issue
more false signals.  I've been using the 10 period default
for the 2 years I've used this program and it worked so well
I haven't experimented with other period settings.  I'm
going to try both the 9 period and 10 period setting for
awhile.

Following is the 9 period OBTR status of:

DJIA-Issued a Sell signal today. 8/8 broke the uptrend line
beginning mid April. Close to    testing the 50 day simple
moving average.
NASD-No sell signal yet. Lines are close to crossing. Close
today is right on the uptrend line beginning mid April
SP500-No Sell signal yet but lines are about to cross.  A
further drop tomorrow should produce a Sell.
DJTA-Issued a Sell signal today
DJUA-Issued a sell signal on 8/8
SEP TBOND FUTURES-Issued a Sell signal on 8/6. Will be
coming into suport about 111.
DEC COMEX SILVER-Issued a buy signal on 8/8
DEC COMEX GOLD-Issued a weak buy signal on 7/29.  For gold I
watch the XAU contract.
XAU-Issued strong buy on 7/22. Has broke above the 50 day
simple moving average and is coming close to testing the 200
day average.  One of the big houses issued a gold buy either
yesterday or today.  Heard it on CNBC but I was busy and
didn't catch which house. Maybe Morgan Stanley. That was for
gold stocks.  Take a look at ASA on a very long term chart.
Interesting.
ASE NATURAL GAS INDEX-Issued BUY signal on 7/25. This is
seasonally a good time to buy these stocks but we have EL
Nino muddying the waters this year.
SP500 SPYDERS-Issued Sell signal today.
ASE BIOTECH INDEX-Issued Sell signal on 6/18 that continues
in effect.  Weakest group I follow.
ASE PHARMACEUTIAL INDEX-Issued Sell signal 8/7. Very weak
group since.

Someone was interested in Boston Chicken recently.  Noticed
Meril Lynch downgraded it 8/11.  Where have they been?
Anyone that pays what they charge for commissions for this
type of research is crazy.  Anyway, this may be a buying
opportunity.  OBTR on the stock hasn't yet given a Buy but
it is getting close.  ML's rating change wasn't able to drop
the price very much and it went up today while the market
fell 100+ points.

Anyone interested in a chart on any of these items showing
the OBTR email me and I'll
send it.  You will need a copy of Paperport Viewer which is
free at
http://www.visioneer.com/
search for "Viewer" File is about  2mg as I recall.

Bob Doeden
bdoeden@xxxxxxxxxxxx