Would Welcome Current Thoughts On the "DOW"

On the London Stock Exchange we have recently experienced a situation where
prices move up in the first half hour of trading and then remain more or less
static for the rest of the day, with only slight gains or losses intraday,
excluding the first half hour.
Normally, I would expect to be able to ignore the first half hour of trading,
when all overnight and last night's orders are fulfilled. In the first half
hour of trading, prices would go up (or down) but then reverse almost all of
that movement after that short period.

How does this compare to the U.S. stock exchanges or, in other words, what
could I normally expect to happen during the first half hour or so of trading?

Wolf