Re: Fundamentals?

Guy,
     The green up arrow was the buy signal.  It was generated by the
following MetaStock System test:
                              MetaStock for Windows
                                 System Tester

 03_R2, S/C, CCI, TSF - All
     SIGNAL FORMULAS
     ---------------
         Enter Long:
              Alert(RSquared(C,21) < 0.15,13) AND
               Fml("S/C") > opt1 AND
                HHV(Fml("S/C"),5) = HHV(Fml("S/C"),13) AND
                 HHV(CCI(55),5) = HHV(CCI(55),13) AND
                  CCI(55) > 0 AND
                   HHV(Mov(C,55,E),5) = HHV(Mov(C,55,E),13)

         Close Long:
              LLV(TSF(C,55),5) = LLV(TSF(C,55),13) AND
               Fml("S/C") < opt1 AND
                LLV(CCI(55),5) = LLV(CCI(55),13)

         Enter Short:
              Alert(RSquared(C,21) < 0.15,13)  AND
               Fml("S/C") < opt2 AND
                LLV(Fml("S/C"),5) = LLV(Fml("S/C"),13) AND
                 LLV(CCI(55),5) = LLV(CCI(55),13) AND
                  LLV(Mov(C,144,E),5) = LLV(Mov(C,144,E),13)

         Close Short:
                HHV(Mov(C,144,E),5) = HHV(Mov(C,144,E),13)

     OPTIMIZATION VARIABLES
     ----------------------
         OPT1: Min = -89.00  Max = -21.00  Step = 34.00
         OPT2: Min = -89.00  Max = -21.00  Step = 34.00

     STOPS ALL OFF
    I attach an expert advisor that gives the bars the colors you saw.
This is done by the highlights section of the Expert Advisor.  You can make
a new expert advisor with just the highlights section if you want to
experimment.  If you want to use mine, I could email the file to you.  Yell
if you want it.
                                 MetaStock for Windows
                                    Expert Advisor
                                        1/14/97

 Jim's R2 & Regression Slope

     EXPERT NOTES
     ------------
 This Expert uses some of the new statistical indicators in MetaStock to
generate an overall statistical condition report.

 Standard Error is used to determine volatility about the current trend.
When Standard Error is relatively low, the security is following the linear
regression rather well. High values show a lot of volatility around the
linear regression, indicating that the security is not "fitting" the linear
regression well.

 r-squared is used as a guage to determine the trendiness of the closng
price. Values less than .15 are said to be in a non-trending phase. Values
above .85 are indicating a very strong trend.

 The Linear Regression Slope is used to determine the direction the closing
price is moving.  Slopes above zero indicate an uptrend.  A downtrend is
indicated by a negative slope.

     BULLISH TREND
     -------------
 RSquared(C,21) > 0.2 AND
   C > TSF(C,55)

     BEARISH TREND
     -------------
 RSquared(C,21) > 0.2 AND
   C < TSF(C,55)

     COMMENTARY
     ----------
 <expert>
 Review of <name> (<symbol>)
 as of <date>

  Open    WriteVal(OPEN, 8.4)
  High    WriteVal(HIGH, 8.4)
  Low     WriteVal(LOW,  8.4)
  Close   WriteVal(CLOSE, 8.4)
  Change  WriteIf((Close-ref(Close,-
 1))<0,"WriteVal(Close-ref(Close,-1),8.4)
 (WriteVal(((c-ref(c,-1))/Div(ref(c,-1),100)),
 0.2)%)")WriteIf((Close-ref(Close,-
 1))>0,"WriteVal(Close-ref(Close,-1),8.4)
 (WriteVal(((c-ref(c,-1))/Div(ref(c,-1),100)), 0.2)%)")

 Volume Today: WriteVal(Mul(Volume,100),0.0) shares.

 Statistical Table

 smoothed r-squared      writeval(mov(
 rsquared(c,21),3,s),8.3)
 Standard Error          writeval(
 STE(c,21),8.3)

 Linear Regression Slope writeval(
 LinRegSlope(c,21),8.3)

 Historical Volatility   writeval( VolO()
 ,8.3)

 writeif(mov(rsquared(c,21),3,s)<=.15,"rsquared is currently at an
 extreme low. This indicates that there is not a strong trend in tact. This

 value should increase soon. When it does, there is likely to be a new
 short term trend.","writeif(mov(rsquared(c,21),3,s)>=.85,
 "rsquared is currently at an extreme high. This indicates that there is a
 strong trend in tact. This value should decrease soon. When it does, the
 current trend is likely to lull off or reverse.")")\

 writeif( Peak(1,Mov( RSquared(C,21),3,S),15)<Peak(2,Mov(
 RSquared(C,21),3,S),15) and

 highestsince(1,Peak(2,Mov( RSquared(C,21),3,S),15),mov(
 rsquared(c,21),3,s)<.15)=0,"The current peak of rsquared is less than
 the previous peak. This indicates weakness of the long term trend.","
 writeif( trough(1,Mov( RSquared(C,21),3,S),15)>trough(2,Mov(
 RSquared(C,21),3,S),15) and

 highestsince(1,trough(2,Mov( RSquared(C,21),3,S),15),mov(
 rsquared(c,21),3,s)>.85)=0,"The current trough of rsquared is greater
 than the previous trough. This indicates strength of the long term
 trend.")")\
 writeif(LinRegSlope(C,21)>0 and
 LinRegSlope(LinRegSlope(C,21),5)>0,"The current slope of the close
 is positive moving higher indicating strength of the medium term
 uptrend.",
 "writeif(LinRegSlope(C,21)>0 and
 LinRegSlope(LinRegSlope(C,21),5)<0,"The current slope of the close
 is positive moving lower indicating weakness or a slowdown of the
 medium term uptrend.")")
 writeif(LinRegSlope(C,21)<0 and
 LinRegSlope(LinRegSlope(C,21),5)<0,"The current slope of the close
 is negative moving lower indicating strength of the medium term
 downtrend.",
 "writeif(LinRegSlope(C,21)<0 and
 LinRegSlope(LinRegSlope(C,21),5)>0,"The current slope of the close
 is negative moving higher indicating weakness or a slowdown of the
 medium term downtrend.")")\
 The standard error is writeval(STE(C,21),0.3)
 writeif(STE(C,21)/Mov(STE(C,21),55,S)>1.25,"At this level there is
 much higher than normal volatility around the current trend and traders
 are probably not in general agreement , not allowing the security to
 trend easily. The price is probably not following the regression slope
 well.",
 "writeif(STE(C,21)/Mov(STE(C,21),55,S)<.75,"At this level there is
 much lower than normal volatility around the current trend and traders
 are probably in general agreement , allowing the security to trend
 easily. The price is probably following the regression slope well.",
 "writeif(STE(C,21)/Mov(STE(C,21),55,S)<1.25 and
 STE(C,21)/Mov(STE(C,21),55,S)>1,
 "At this level there is somewhat greater than normal volatility around
 the current trend and traders are probably in mild disagreement , not
 allowing the security to trend. The price is probably not following the
 regression slope .",
 "writeif(STE(C,21)/Mov(STE(C,21),55,S)<1 and
 STE(C,21)/Mov(STE(C,21),55,S)>.75  ,"At this level there is
 somewhat less than normal volatility around the current trend and
 traders are probably in mild agreement , allowing the security to trend.
 The price is probably following the regression slope .")")")")

     HIGHLIGHTS
     ----------
 Name:        Up Trend
 Condition:   RSquared(C,21) > 0.2 AND
                C > TSF(C,55)
 Color:       Dk Green

 Name:        Down Trend
 Condition:   RSquared(C,21) > 0.2 AND
                C < TSF(C,55)
 Color:       Red

 Name:        Neutral
 Condition:   RSquared(C,21) <= 0.2
 Color:       Blue

     SYMBOLS
     -------

     ALERTS
     ------
     Hope that helped.  I don't have CUBE in my database.  PAIR looks like
a good bottom fishing candidate with a stop at 14 3/4.

Jim