Re: auto programs

Herb,
Sorry for answering with such a delay, but actually it hasn't delayed
anything: I have very little to tell. As I understood from your postings you
need something different: to automate (daily) data downloading while for me
it's a stock quote retrieval.

My time horizon in trading is "days" at least. But sometimes (like during
first hour or so after opening) I would like to SEE better what's going on
with stocks I am about to get into. I use real-time DBC's Market Watch
(press-a-key-get-a-quote service $29.95/month), but I cannot do it all the
way down all morning writing down the quotes on pieces of paper, not being
able to see a chart. Of course, free DELAYED intraday charts at

SchwabNOW:
http://www.schwab.com/SchwabNOW/SNLibrary/SNLib041/SN041.html
Wall Street City (by Telescan):
http://www.tscn.com/wsc/Corporate_Snapshot.html
Wall Street Research Net:
http://www.wsrn.com/home/companyResearch.html
INO MarketQuote:
http://www.ino.com/marketquote/

may help, but they are not really reliable: a Web site may be overwhelmed
(for those who don't pay) by requests at the very time you need it; sometimes
quotes are too delayed or just absent for a while. On other side, it doesn't
make sense for me to pay much more for a continuous real-time quote feed. So,
here comes a search for a compromise.

The problems I encountered in my quest trying a variety of stock retrieval
programs are (this is why I decided to post my findings on the list):

i) they are not dependable  (sometimes they may miss a retrieval or give
wrong quote, time, ... because, I suspect, of not proper handling vendor's
often changing format); mind delayed quotes are free, so there is little
incentive for data vendors to maintain compatibilty with somebody's else
sofware;
ii) not many programs can draw intraday charts based upon collected quotes;
iii) some programs limit (from below) the time interval between retrievals to
15 min or so (vendors don't want to have their sites clogged by lovers of
free lunch);
iii) 90+ % of delayed quote retrieval applications don't have an option to
handle real-time quotes (again, I am not talking about continuous feed), or
at best they offer to buy from a vendor I don't know or don't want to know.

So, I decided to do it myself - the project is:

i) to find a simple Web agent (freeware NetBuddy seems OK) which would
periodically (every few seconds/minutes/hours/days/....) go to my DBC's
Market Watch Website and grab the page (nothing fancier than that!);
ii) to write a program (my programming repertoire is pretty old fashioned -
DOS and FORTRAN; Perl would be more appropriate here?) to strip HTML stuff
from the page, and reformat the quotes into a format accepted by a simple
plotting program able to redraw its plots as the source file gets updated;
iii) and hopefully enjoy it!

Let's see if I succeed.

Thanks. Sorry if it took too much of your time reading it.

                        Cheers, Vitaly