Re: Equis noncooperation with data vendors

Derek wrote:
>Gary Lyben of Quotes Plus reports on SI today that Equis has reneged on
>their promise to assist data providers.  After promising for months that
>the new Equis data-file structure would be made available free of charge
>to data providers, Equis now is demanding a royalty kick-back fee for
>the data file format.
>
>snip
>
>In plain speak, this means that the ancient 255 maximum securities per
>directory will continue for 3rd-party data providers unless they knuckle
>under and cough up the extortion fee.

The 255 securities per directory format will be unusable with current
software after Dec 31, 1999.

The date is stored as a binary number in Microsoft floating point format.
e.g. 30th June 1997 is calculated as
   date = 97*10000 + 06*100 + 30  giving 970630
Since 000101 is less that 971231 programs like the downloader and certainly
the old MSU I still use will refuse to insert data before your old data.
And if they do add it on the end will it plot.  And what happens to the
explorer etc.

It may be wise to sell your portfolio and go on holiday for the first few
months of 2000.

Lance Collins