Re: Weekly Pick

DanMartinz@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Vitaly,
> if you don't get MetaStock, what would you get?  What else is there?  Omega
> Research does the same thing.  Window on Wall Street is worthless.  What else
> would you get?  This is a very limited product field.  MetaStock knows it's
> the best for end-of-day and can pretty much do whatever they wish.
>
> Still, why can't you just use the Downloader to incorporate Quotes-Plus data
> into MetaStock's directories?  Doesn't their data come in ZIP'd ASCII form?
>  What's the problem here?
>
> Daniel.

Daniel,

> if you don't get MetaStock, what would you get?  What else is there?

You are certainly right :-(  . It's like when we used to circulate between
AT&T, MCI and Sprint getting the same lousy service (the inference from my
own experince).
Since I am not a fan of the idea to be a beta tester of a new product I paid
money for, I have been closely following commentaries regarding upgrading to
MS 6.0. while staying with 5.11, and honestly, I am getting more and more
reluctant to do it. It's not that the commentaries are bad. Just why to
bother?

While having very impressive, powerful, easy to use, intuitive charting
portion of the package (this is why I own MS) Metastock is still poorly
integrated. The impression is that it was other guy who was responsible for
this part of the project. It's already proverbial to mention on this list
Downloader which is actually a standalone product making to delete, copy ...
,i.e. handle a file more difficult than in DOS. MS Tester cannot test a
system on a group of stocks, so I cannot make any inference in any
statisitically meaningful way although Explorer, on other side, can handle
groups (!). So it seems Tester should be combined with Explorer. And finally,

>Still, why can't you just use the Downloader to incorporate Quotes-Plus
> data into MetaStock's directories?  Doesn't their data come in ZIP'd ASCII
> form?  What's the problem here?

Their data don't come in  ZIP'd ASCII form . Actually, the procedure is as
follows. First, having received a new update file from their Web site or BBS,
you update QPlus database (it's in their own proprietory format, I guess) on
your PC  - one mouse click and 10 min of your time . You have an option
simultaneously update your Metastock files, i.e. automatically converting
QPlus data format files into those Metastock's which you want - no more
clicks needed! By the way, this is why I don't keep for long most of my
Metastock files - any minute I can create new and anew from QPlus database,
though I tend to keep Metastock directory structure, but not files.
After that you also can (not automatically now!) output QPlus files in ASCII
format (there is such an applet in QPlus package), but now you need make a
few (!) more clicks, then invoke Downloader, etc. One can write a macro, of
course, but again ... why to bother?

This is a good example of another sore problem of the integration, not
special for Metastock, but all current trading sofware - how to streamline
data flow into sofware.

Let me finish on it. I guess you've had too much of me recently.

			Cheers,
					Vitaly