Request for MS user group address.

Corel Corporation
Quattro Pro 7
801-765-4029

Tech support:
thank you for your response.  MetaStock is a stock charting program.
 Although Equis tells me I am using the correct method to get numbers, all I
get is a chart.  Because MetaStock graphical based, there is only one way I
know of to do the Paste Link.  This could be why I only get the one
"MetaStock Chart" option in the Quattro Pro 7 Paste Link box.  Because
MetaStock is so sophisticated, there might be a way to bring up the chart
info (numbers) in the form of a spreadsheet and paste from there.  I don't
know yet.

I assume the formula you mentioned below is to place into Quattro Pro.
 Initially I thought you were writing about a complex OLE programming or
Registry item.  Because MetaStock is graphically based and not a spreadsheet,
I have no idea what or how to reference the data in MetaStock.  You may not
know this, but these types of programs come with CD-ROM's packed with a
database of 550 megabytes of data.  This data increases everyday via modem as
the stock market closes.

I think the only way you could help me is if you were to call Equis's
technical support at 801-265-8886.  Because this not a subject they normally
handle and there is only one way to do the Paste Link, you may have to
consult with someone higher up the information chain, such as a manager or
programmer.   Because you represent a major firm, you should give you access.
 I have CC'd this email to their listserver group.  It will be dispersed to
everyone on its list.  Perhaps someone at Equis will see your number above
and call you.

There are two major end-of-day stock market charting programs, Equis
MetaStock and Omega Research SuperCharts.  Both are very sophisticated,
however MetaStock is the more powerful one.  I believe only MetaStock is OLE
2.0 capable.  Because MetaStock is so popular, it would be in the best
interest of Corel if you did obtain a copy of MetaStock 6 and wrote a
Knowledge Base sheet to tell your users how to make Quattro Pro work with it.

Daniel.
danmartinz@xxxxxxx

<< Thanks for your message. For fastest response to your
 Quattro Pro technical support questions, please send them to
 qptech@xxxxxxxxxx

 I apologize that this was not answered
 earlier--qptech@xxxxxxxxx was not available all last week and
 I have feverishly been catching up on the stored messages
 accumulated over a week's time. Because you originally sent
 your message to wptech@xxxxxxxxx you did not get the
 automated reply explaining the delay in responding.

 We do not yet have a copy of MetaStock 6, but in our testing
 we have been able to Paste Link numbers from, for example,
 Excel into Quattro Pro 7 (though, interestingly, Excel 97 does
 not support Paste Linking numbers from Quattro Pro 7). The
 link is accomplished through the @DDELINK function, so if
 MetaStock is fully DDE compliant I expect that you could link
 from MetaStock to Quattro Pro 7 (though again, we need to
 get a copy of the software to test this).

 If you would like to do some testing there, you can see if you
 can get the @DDELINK function to work with MetaStock.
 Here is a sample function that results when I paste link from
 Excel to Quattro Pro 7:

 @DDELINK(["Excel|C:\My
 Documents\[dumpthis.xls]Sheet1"]"R1C2:R6C2")

 Obviously the various elements would change when paste
 linking from MetaStock, but you can see the format of the
 function.

 We will try to get a copy of MetaStock here to test the
 functionality.

 Let us know if you have further questions or information in the
 meantime.

 >>> <DanMartinz@xxxxxxx> 06/19/97 08:31am >>>

                                         Daniel  Martinez
                                         PIN  # xxxxxxxx
(x'd out because of MetaStock Listserver)

 Tech Support:
 I own Corel Pro Suite 7.  I also have MetaStock 6 by Equis.   Equis tells
me,
 and their manual tells me, MetaStock is OLE 2.0 capable  and can Paste
 Special/Paste Link numbers to spreadsheets such as Excel.   I can Paste
 Special/Paste Link images (charts) to WordPerfect 7 and  Quattro Pro 7.  I
 have not been able to Paste Special/Paste Link numbers to  Quattro Pro 7.
 The
 only option I have under Paste Special/Paste Link is  MetaStock Chart, no
 numbers.  Does Quattro Pro 7 have this capability?  If so, do I  have to
make
 any changes in the Registry?

 Daniel.
 danmartinz@xxxxxxx