Re: ASND

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Michael L. Robb wrote:
> Jim Michael:
> MS does not have a proper high=tech data retrieval system.  Allmost everyone
> on this list who downloads daily data has indicated various degrees of
> irritation over the primitiveness of the MS download software.

When I first started using Signal and an earlier version of Downloader I
was downloading thousands of stocks per day. The number of keystrokes
involved just for daily updates incredible. I wrote a macro program
(BigMac) do help me handle my updates and made it freely available.
The newer version was better, but my data needs have changed as well. I
am more interested in maintaing my data elsewhere (MS Access). I am also
more interested in retrieving data in addition to stock quotes since I
only concentrate on a very few tech stocks.

> There would be a lot of customers, here, for a MS downloader that would work
> on at least one data retrieval source, if not several sources, or even all
> sources.
>
> It sounds like you may have the ambition to create a solution.  You should
> find a ready audience, and clientele, right here, should you decide to do so.

Unfortunately, my plate is quite full right now with projects I find more
interesting. I would be glad to help anyone interested in getting started
using the proper tools for parsing data by providing example code. My
feeling is that if you don't want to get your hands dirty playing with
the data, find a highly accurate commercial data source and spend your
time studying graphs. How much work is it for you right now backadjusting
a ticker change, for example?

Cheers,

Jim