Re: [amibroker] programming ?

Hi Sidney,

In my experience, this kind of occasional whipsaw at turning points
is simply a characteristic of many swing-trading systems.  You
realize, I'm sure, that you cannot program every loss out of your
system, without running the danger of curve-fitting it.

Is it a profitable system anyway?

As a trader, I'd say, without hesitation, that you would not want to
go long on retest of the highs (between the two short signals).  That
bar absolutely is death.  So you need to write some exceptions into
the system, perhaps -- although again you can curve-fit to trouble.

However, both those bars at the second top, where price opens high
and cannot hold, closing down on the day, are strong signals which
direction is the path of least resistance.  It's just churning on
moderately high volume.

Also, at any possible turning point ... taking a step back out of the
market and letting it clarify itself is never a bad thing.

Another option would be, the moment you think trend might be breaking
down, reduce new position size by 1/2 or even 2/3.  Getting whipsawed
on half once in a while is quite tolerable if your main trend signals
are consistently turning profits.

Taking some losers is part of the business of course.  There are no
systems that don't book them.  If the system's losers wreck the
system, then the system needs a real close look.  Tweaking it may not
help so much.  It may be that the philosophy behind the system simply
isn't profitable.

Yuki