[RT] Fw: [cycletrader] Re: SPX update

  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 09:03:41 -0800
  • From: "Jim White" <jwhite431@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [RT] Fw: [cycletrader] Re: SPX update

From: Jim White
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: [cycletrader] Re: SPX update

In my methodology the extremes (highs and lows) represent the limits of participants perception of value for that time period. Sequences of time periods in the same direction tell us the persistence of the general sentiment (trend) and when reversals occur, the pivot points are important in that they represent the limits of value over the longer period of time. Pivot highs and lows should always be used for trend line construction however trend lines are not linear just as markets are not linear.
The close also has an important significance, especially in relationship to the previous three bars. I believe the close can give us important information about the next periods activity.
For example I have been researching an algorithm of the close to forecast the next periods direction some remarkable results. For example a two year test on the daily SPY resulted in 83% profitable trades when entering the next day at the signals high or low. When entering at the close of the signal day, a more remarkable result is that 99% of the trades presented a profit opportunity, regardless of the open price. Today's results on a variety of stocks entered short at the close was 23   22 giving profits at the open. The number of signals may also provide information on the size of the move but as yet unconfirmed.

So I conclude the close is certainly an important consideration but only in reference to the near term limits of value.

Jim White
Pivot Research & Trading Co.
PivotTrader.com