RE: [RT] S&P Volume

Peter volume still works very well

Currently showing 1071 next for sp500

Ben

From: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Lieber
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:00 AM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RT] S&P Volume

I was surprised to find that when I updated my S&P volume indicator to see that it is showing a negative bias for tomorrow.  The volume indicator is below Friday's close while the S&P is above (see attached).

The volume indicator is comprised of industry volume that is weighted to mimic the weight of the S&P component stocks.  In addition the indicator reflects the volume of several thousand stocks not just 500.  For some time now I have been attempting to track the market by tracking and combining the individual component stocks that make up the indexes.  Naturally I first tried the 30 stocks of the DJIA and then the 100 stocks of the OEX.

I abandoned this approach when it became apparent that the price and volume movements of the large cap stocks that comprise the the major averages are more random than a typical mid-cap stock.  I believe that program trading and index fund buying/selling is responsible for this element of randomness.