[RT] FW: [TimeandCycles] RajaCar [post] 200 d ma SentimenTrader Study Jim Pilliod

Subject

: 200 d ma SentimenTrader Study Jim Pilliod

Thread

: 200 d ma SentimenTrader Study Jim Pilliod

Mode

: post

I am not a big fan of 200 day MA stuff,..but found this study by SentimenTrader to be worthwhile.
This study was re-posted in today's TSP daily (free) letter: http://www.tsptalk.com/comments.html

*******************

The fact that the S&P is now trading below the 200-day SMA after having moved above it a few weeks ago, may be a bad sign for the intermediate-term.

The following is from our friends at SentimenTrader.com:

Now that the 200-day average has "failed" by the S&P crossing back below it yesterday, let's revisit it. Let's go back to 1928 and look for any other time the S&P crossed above its downward-sloping 200-day average, held above it for at least five days and hit at least a one-month high, then fell back below.

Since the late 1920's, there were five other occurrences:

Image

...In every case but one, the S&P ultimately went on to violate the low that preceded the rally above the 200-day average. And that one exception, in 1947, we saw the S&P do a "full" re-test of the low, holding just a few cents above the low prior to the big rally above the 200-day average.

With only five precedents, we obviously don't have enough information to draw a statistically valid conclusion. But these analogs do help show what's possible, even what's likely, under somewhat similar technical circumstances.

-- Courtesy of http://www.sentimentrader.com