From: Ira
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:30 PM
Subject: [RT] Fw: HR 1068 Must Be Stopped! Please HELP in the cause – from Todd Mitchell

I have no affiliation with this group.  This message was sent to me and I thought that It might be of interest to those of you that trade for a living.

: 3/25/2009 1:41:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: HR 1068 Must Be Stopped! Please HELP in the cause – from Todd Mitchell

http://www.tradingconceptsinc.com/

http://www.tradingconceptsinc.com/freedvd/nolog.cfmhttp://www.tradingconceptsinc.com/questions/http://www.tradingconceptsinc.com/eminitrading/

Dear Trading Concepts Student,

Congressman Peter DeFazio introduced H.R. 1068: “Let Wall Street Pay for Wall Street's Bailout Act of 2009” on 13February2009. This bill imposes a 0.25% transaction tax on the “value of the sale and purchase of financial instruments such as stock, options, and futures contracts.” While HR1068 seeks to engender populist appeal by ostensibly exacting monetary retribution against the big Wall Street firms for wreaking havoc upon the American financial system, its effects will hurt EVERY American who trades professionally as well as the ordinary investor trying to save for the future. The 0.25% tax is invoked against the VALUE of every purchase AND sale of typical financial instruments, resulting in an egregious added cost borne by every American for each investment or trading transaction they make, even within the realm of an IRA or 401K account. It is particularly grievous that this tax is imposed upon the transaction itself, regardless of whether the purchase / sale generates a profit. The bill will have virtually no effect upon the behavior of the relatively few Wall Street executives whose reckless decisions contributed to the current financial crisis, as added costs would in all likelihood be passed on in some form to customers. Further, the bill would have the effect of diminishing capital provision, as it discourages investment to a degree even beyond the negative impact of capital gains taxation.

HR1068 MUST BE STOPPED!! THE BEST WAY TO ENSURE HR1068 NEVER BECOMES LAW IS TO MAKE YOUR OPPOSITION FORCEFULLY AND UNAMBIGUOUSLY KNOWN TO YOUR CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS!!!

HR1068 is currently in Committee [House Ways and Means] for markup and debate, so Congress needs to hear from traders and investors quickly and massively in opposition. Further, the bill has already garnered air time in the media, thus it is gaining visibility.

Attached/below is a pre-composed letter response for your use in writing to your Congressmen and Senators. However, be advised that the most effective means of response in voicing protest regarding HR1068 is to call your Congressman's/Senators' office. The next most effective means of communication is via actual mail. The least effective [though still viable] means of communicating your displeasure regarding HR1068 is via email. You can obtain the contact information for your Congressman and Senators via http://www.govtrack.us/congress/. You can track the current status of HR1068 as it goes through the legislative process via http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1068 .

Thank you for taking your valuable time to read the above comments and statements about HR1068. Have a great day and I truly hope you decide to help in preventing this from passing.

Once again, the letter below can be used to email and mail your Senator and Congressman. It needs some modification on your part, but it would greatly help HR1068 from passing.

Sincerely,
Todd M. Mitchell
President & Founder of Trading Concepts, Inc.

Date of Mailing
Mr./Mrs./Ms. Your Name
Street Address
City, State
Zip Code

Congressman [or Senator] Xxxxx Xxxxxxx
Street Address
City, State
Zip Code

Dear Congressman [or Senator] Xxxxxxx,

On 13 February 2009 Congressman Peter DeFazio introduced H.R. 1068: “Let Wall Street Pay for Wall Street's Bailout Act of 2009”, which aims to impose a 0.25% transaction tax on the “sale and purchase of financial instruments such as stock, options, and futures contracts.” The title of this bill certainly has popular appeal, which is understandable. Without a doubt, I wholeheartedly support and encourage Congress using all its power to investigate those executives in the Wall Street firms who have broken the law, and whose reckless decisions have helped create the present financial crisis. Like so many American citizens, I am appalled at the recent behavior of large Wall Street companies, and the idea of making those firms who are responsible for putting the global financial system in jeopardy help to repay taxpayers for the bailout is certainly justifiable.

Unfortunately, HR1068 is the wrong way to do that, as this tax applies to ALL investors, the vast majority of whom have done no wrong. Effectively, this tax will punish anyone who wants to save their money, whether by investing in stocks or options directly, putting their hard earned money in any mutual fund, or by simply placing a portion of their paycheck in a 401K. While the proprietary trading operations of the big Wall Street firms would also be affected by such a tax, their brokerage operations will not suffer, as the tax would be passed on to customers in the form of additional transaction fees. Further, banks and mutual fund companies who execute clients' transactions will also pass along this added cost to their customers, many of whom are ordinary retail investors as opposed to large institutional investors. This bill would have the chilling effect of further discouraging Americans from saving and investing for their futures, as well as the futures of their families. We who are attempting to responsibly save for our families' future are ALREADY taxed for such efforts in the form of capital gains tax.

The unintended consequences associated with H.R. 1068 are hard to ignore and pose ominous effects for ordinary Americans, small businesses, and entrepreneurs, as well as the markets themselves.

The HR1068 tax will lower gains made by ordinary Americans in their 401k and IRA investments, exacerbating the already difficult economic situation many Americans face currently as well as in the future. It has the effect of forcing individual American investors and savers to pay even more for the excessively irresponsible behavior of reckless Wall Street executives.

The text of HR1068 claims that such a tax would have a negligible impact on the ordinary investor. This is completely and utterly inaccurate! For example, if I buy 100 shares of a $100 stock [approximately the price of Apple stock], this costs me $10,000 plus brokerage fees. Assume that I decide later to sell the shares at the same price [if my analysis of the prospective outlook for Apple no longer supports the position]. This sale of the stock would also be a $10,000 transaction, but the proceeds of the sale are diminished by brokerage fees. Under HR1068, I would also be taxed on both the purchase value and the sale value of the stock; in this case, a 0.25% tax on $20,000 for an additional $50 cost of executing the transaction....and I have to pay this tax regardless of whether or not I profit from the investment! It is noteworthy that 100 shares is generally considered to be a minimum size for a stock investment; purchasing a larger block of shares would impose even more devastating costs upon ordinary investors, again, whether they profit or not from the investment.

Additionally, many hard-working Americans make their living by operating small businesses that trade stocks, options and other financial instruments. These businesses provide essential liquidity to the American markets, creating the most efficient market exchanges in the world. This transaction tax will have a huge negative impact on these small businesses' ability to compete and survive in a market that is already extremely cost-competitive. The HR 1068 tax punishes such entrepreneurs merely for conducting their business operations, whether they earn a profit or not. This is akin to Congress taxing Ford, GM, or Chrysler solely and exclusively for the act of manufacturing a car, as opposed to taxing the profit made on the sale of the car. In addition, those Americans who work for small trading businesses could face layoffs due to the increased costs imposed by HR1068.

American markets are the most liquid markets in the world; this is one reason so many foreign investors invest their capital in American companies via American exchanges. The HR1068 tax will undoubtedly affect the number of shares traded on an absolute basis, thus reducing liquidity – a necessary ingredient in the effective pricing of assets. It is noteworthy that the complete lack of price discovery and associated absence of liquidity accelerated the drop in "value" of collateralized mortgage obligations, which has aggravated the current financial crisis. HR1068 would actually encourage American investors to take their investment capital to foreign markets and foreign companies instead of investing here in American companies.

Why is Congress considering a bill that would effectively discourage Americans from saving and investing for their own futures, and in American companies via American markets? Congress should encourage Americans to save and invest! The collective investments from ordinary Americans through IRA and 401K plans provide essential capital for American small businesses and entrepreneurs; it is these same small business owners who provide the majority of jobs in the United States. In the current credit crisis, with capital for investment in labor, plants and equipment by businesses so difficult to obtain, why would Congress make this problem even more insurmountable? How can Congress essentially discourage provision of much needed capital for businesses in such difficult economic times that are remarkably comparable to the Great Depression?

I, and all other taxpaying American citizens are already paying for the Wall Street bailout in the form of unspeakable increases in the national debt and what will certainly be a future devaluation of the dollar. HR1068 would only increase that burden upon ordinary American citizens for the irresponsible and reckless behavior of a few Wall Street executives.

HR1068 may sound good on a populist appeal (i.e. let's get back at the Wall Street crooks and make them pay for this mess they helped create), but the ultimate effect of taxing investment transactions will hurt ordinary law abiding, responsible Americans who want to invest their money in America and will ruin many small business people who invest as a profession.

I implore you to vote NO on H.R. 1068, and to use all your influence with your colleagues on both sides of the aisle and in both houses of Congress to defeat this bill!

Respectfully,
Your Signature

If you would like to be unsubscribed, please go here: